Sunday, March 23, 2008

Beware of soft shoe shufflers / Dancing down the sidewalks / Beware of Maya

I've always liked this song by [former Beatle] George Harrison. And even though I'm an athiest, and I feel the need to discuss what "It's all part of God's beautiful pageantry" can possibly mean to a rational person, I won't. I think George was heavily influenced by Hinduism and "Maya" is some type of diety. I read somewhere about Maya and an elephant being somehow connected. This song is also done by Leon Russell on his "Shelter People" album. I like his version as well. George died and you'll read alot of things on this video that praise his life. I liked George Harrison, but I never had deep thoughts about him. So what you read isn't necessarily a reflection on my opinions. I liked the guy and I like song. Both versions are posted here.


Ain't nothing like the Hindu touch on Easter Sunday, eh?






Lyrics:
Watch out now, take care
Beware of falling swingers
Dropping all around you
The pain that often mingles
In your fingertips
Beware of darkness

Watch out now, take care
Beware of the thoughts that linger
Winding up inside your head
The hopelessness around you
In the dead of night

Beware of sadness
It can hit you
It can hurt you
Make you sore and what is more
That is not what you are here for

Watch out now, take care
Beware of soft shoe shufflers
Dancing down the sidewalks
As each unconscious sufferer
Wanders aimlessly
Beware of Maya

Watch out now, take care
Beware of greedy leaders
They take you where you should not go
While Weeping Atlas Cedars
They just want to grow, grow and grow
Beware of darkness (beware of darkness)






WARNING

To salad dressing lovers of all stripes. Although it looks identical, it tastes different, it tastes less tangy. It has less zip to it.

Beware of Mayo.





2 comments:

Jeremy Bradford said...

Maya is actually a pretty interesting concept. Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(illusion)

I came across this blog because I was trying to find out what "soft shoe shufflers" are:
http://www.philipsparke.com/Soft-shoe%20Shuffle%20CB.htm

Now I know.

Anonymous said...

yea, I've bonked these lyrics around in my brain. Some dark side warnings I guess.
What George meant with this doom talk only
Olivia and Leon know. Falling swingers, soft shoe
shufflers are nebulous.
Sadness and Greedy leaders are stet. It appears the mixer of the video and the lighting director had major difficulties. They had the footage but not a clue of when to use it, as George gives the clue for Leon to sing and it takes 3 lines before the light and camera is on Leon to preform the solo.